Part-Time Building Official
Report to: Mayor of Woodmere
Join the caring, hard-working, and professional team at Woodmere Village as a:
Learn from mentors with decades of experience in a supportive environment where you can grow and make the most out of your career.
The Village of Woodmere, headquartered in Woodmere, Ohio, is currently seeking a part-time Building Official to join their team. The individual who fills this role will have a tremendous opportunity to:
The Building Official will be responsible for direct regulatory administration and supervision of plan review, enforcement, and inspection of building construction, erection, repair, addition, remodeling, demolition, and alteration projects that require permitting indicating compliance with building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, gas, fire prevention, energy, accessibility, and other construction codes as required by applicable codes, ordinances and regulation.
- Assists developers, contractors, architects, engineers, property owners, and others to ensure compliance with applicable development permits.
- Issues stop-work order notices, correction notices and notices of violation, as needed.
- Prepares reports and maintains accurate files on inspections and complaints. Appears as an expert witness in court proceedings as required.
- Prepares recommendations for changes in procedures for inspections and other activities to improve the operational effectiveness and efficiency of the Department.
- Assists in compiling department statistics and other data related to building and development.
- Attends meetings including City Council, as needed (evening if needed) to present department information.
- Assists the Director in planning, directing, managing, supervising and evaluating all building, zoning, and code compliance programs.
- Assists in budget preparation and administration, monitors and controls expenditures and performance objectives.
- Recommends building code updates and revisions as necessary. May act as a member of various building and examining boards. Investigates complaints and resolves public relations problems.
- Examines plans, construction documents and specifications for adherence to established codes and requirements.
- Manages the building permit process and develops procedures relating to the issuance of permits
- Trains and monitors inspectors in the enforcement of adopted codes and regulations
- Conducts field inspections as needed
- Ohio registered Architect or Professional Engineer preferred, but not required
- Required: BO
- Preferred: RBO, BI, RBI, ESI, and PI
- 3 years’ experience in Building Department operations and management preferred, but not required
- Thorough understanding of Zoning and Property Maintenance enforcement
- Excellent communication, organization and time management skills
- Proficient skills in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel and Word
- Proficient understanding of all City safety rules and operating procedures
- Valid driver’s license
- The Building Officer performs work in both an indoor and outdoor environment with frequent exposure to hazardous and unpleasant conditions in extreme temperatures including heat, cold, temperature swings and inclement weather; some exposure to dust, odor, electrical, mechanical, and toxic hazards
- Work requires frequent stooping, lifting 50 pounds, standing, twisting, climbing up to 15 feet while painting/pruning, pulling, pushing, working in tight or confined areas; bending over or working on knees for extended periods of time
- Required to work some nights and weekends
Why the Village of Woodmere?
Woodmere is the quaint village located just eleven miles southeast of downtown Cleveland and even closer to the countryside. It’s the Gateway to the Chagrin Valley, and the gateway to more. More opportunities, more possibilities, more experiences.
Only in Woodmere can you find over 300 unique businesses from hi-tech to homemade. We’re the hidden gem nestled on Chagrin Boulevard, right in the heart of it all. Come to Woodmere and discover why we’re the front door to retail, restaurants, rural residential living, and the gateway to more.
Woodmere Village is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran or military status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state, or local statutes.
How to apply:
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.